Designation: Associate Professor
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Department: Geomatics and Geospatial Information Systems
|Post-Doctoral Studies||University of Tsukuba, Japan||2009|
|PhD (Geoinformatics)||University of Tsukuba, Japan||2006|
|Msc ( GIS & Remote Sensing)||University of Tsukuba, Japan||2003|
|Bsc (Land Surveying)||University of Nairobi||1996|
Areas of Expertise
- Geomatics and Land Surveying
- Remote Sensing Environmental Assessment & Management
- GIS Spatial Analysis & GIS Modelling
- Geomatic Engineering
- GIS Spatial Analysis
- Remote Sensing Modelling
- Environmental Assessment
Books and Book Chapters
- Mundia, C.N. (2015) “Modeling of Spatial Processes of Urban Growth of Nairobi Metropolis. Book chapter in “Urban Trend and future of Capital Cities in Developing Asia and Africa: Geographical Analysis using Remote Sensing and GIS” Nova Science Publishers, in press.
- Mundia C.N., Aniya M., and Murayama Y. (2011) “Remote Sensing and GIS Modeling of Spatial Processes of Urban Growth in an African City.” Book Chapter in “Recent Advances in GIS and Remote Sensing Analysis in Sub-Sahara Africa”, Courage Kamusoko, Charles N. Mundia and Yuji Murayama (Eds), ISBN: 978-1-61761-003-5. NOVA Science Publishers. 2011.
- Mundia C.N.,and Murayama Y.(2011) “Spatial-Temporal Patterns and Driving Forces of Land Use/Cover Changes in an African Wildlife Sanctuary.” Book Chapter in “Recent Advances in GIS and Remote Sensing Analysis in Sub-Sahara Africa”, Courage Kamusoko, Charles N. Mundia and Yuji Murayama (Eds), ISBN: 978-1-61761-003-5. NOVA Science Publishers. 2011.
- Mundia C.N., and Gachari M.K. (2011) “Remote Sensing and GIS, Current Status and Future Prospects in Sub-Sahara Africa.” Book Chapter in “Recent Advances in GIS and Remote Sensing Analysis in Sub-Sahara Africa”, Courage Kamusoko, Charles N. Mundia and Yuji Murayama (Eds), ISBN: 978-1-61761-003-5. NOVA Science Publishers. 2011.
- Mundia, C.N., Mubea K. N., and Gachari M.K. (2011)“Exploratory Land Use/.Cover Change Analysis in a Municipality in Kenya Using Markov Chain Model.” Book Chapter in “Recent Advances in GIS and Remote Sensing Analysis in Sub-Sahara Africa”, Courage Kamusoko, Charles N. Mundia and Yuji Murayama (Eds), ISBN: 978-1-61761-003-5. NOVA Science Publishers. 2011.
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Boitt, M.K., Mundia, C.N., & Pellika, P. (2014) Modeling the impacts of climate on agro ecological zone – Case study of Taita Hills, Kenya. Universal Journal of Geoscience 3(6):172-179.
- Boitt, M.K., Mundia, C.N., & Pellika, P. (2014)Using Hyperspectral Data to Identify Crops in a Cultivated Agricultural Landscape – A Case Study of Taita Hills, Kenya. Universal Journal of Geoscience 2(6): 172-179, 2014
- Macharia, P. M., Mundia, C. N. (2014)GIS Analysis and Spatial Modelling for Optimal Oil Pipeline Route Location: A Case Study of Proposed Isiolo Nakuru Pipeline Route. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)Vol (3) 12, 2319-7064
- Kapoi,J. K.,Mundia, C.N (2014) Livelihood vulnerability assessment in context of droiught hazard: A case of Baringo County, Kenya. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)Vol (3)3, 346-349.
- Nduati, E. W. Mundia, C. N. Ngigi, M.M (2013) Effects of Vegetation Change and Land Use/ Land Cover Change on Land Surface Temperature in the Mara Ecosystem. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) Vol (2) 8, 21-29
- Magondu, M. G., Ngigi, M.M., Mundia C.N (2013) Integrated solution for water resources information management: Case of Athi river catchment. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) Vol (2) 8, 337-342
- Watene, G. C., Musiega, D E., Mundia, C.N. (2013). A GIS Based Parking Management and Dissemination System. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) Vol (2)7, 194-201
- Nduati, W.E & Mundia, C.N (2013) A Remote Sensing based approach to evaluation of trends and impacts of land surface changes in the mara ecosystem. International journal of SDI Research. Open access, http://www.ijsr.net/archive2i8/MDIwMTXxOD=pdf
- Mubea, K. W, Ngigi, T.G, Mundia, C.N (2010) Assessing application of Markov Chain Analysis in Predicting land over change: Case study of Nakuru Municipality. Journal of Agriculture, Science and technology, Vo l(2) 2010
- Mundia, C. N & Murayama Y. (2010) Modeling Spatial processes of urban growth.Journal of Urban Planning, 31, (2) 259-272.
- Mundia, C. N & Murayama Y. (2009) Analysis of Land Use/Cover Changes and Animal Population Dynamics in a Wildlife Sanctuary in East Africa. Remote Sensing Journal, 1,952-970.
- Mundia C.M, Gachari M.K, Mubea K.P. (2008) Environmental Assessment of Lake Nakuru National Park Using Remote Sensing. Case study Nakuru Municipality of Land use mapping using GIS. Journal of Agriculture Science and Technology Volume 10 (2)2008
- Mundia, C. N., & Aniya, M. (2007) Modeling urban growth of Nairobi city using cellular Automata and Geographical information systems. Geographical Review of Japan, 80,(12)777-788.
- Mundia,C N., & Aniya, M. (2006). Dynamics of Land Use/cover Changes and Environmental degradation of Nairobi city Using GIS. Land Degradation and Development, 17, 1, 97-108.
- Mundia, C.N., & Aniya, M. (2005). Analysis of Land Use Changes and Urban Expansion of Nairobi City Using Remote Sensing and Geographical Information Systems. International journal of Remote Sensing 26, 13, 2831-2849, August, 2005.
Publications in conference proceedings
- Watene, G., Musiega D. & Mundia C.N (2013) A GIS based Parking management and dissemination System. Mechanical Engineering conference on Sustainable Research, Volume 5,115-121, ISSN: 2079-6226.
- Nduati, W.E & Mundia, C.N (2012) An evaluation of climate effects and trends using LST and NDVI. Mechanical Engineering Conference on Sustainable Research, Volume 5, 107-113, ISSN: 2079-6226.
- Magondu, M.G., Ngigi, M.M., Mundia, C.N (2013) Web-based water resources information management system: A case of Water resources management. Mechanical Engineering conference on Sustainable Research, Volume 5 399- 403, ISSN: 2079-6226.
- Mundia, N,C (2013) An integrated urban framework for informal settlement upgrading.International workshop on Mobility, Hybridity and way co-existence, JSPS research station. February 8-9 2013.
- Mundia, N.C and Wamalwa, L. 2011. Multi-criteria suitability modelling for geothermal exploration: Case of Silali geothermal prospect in North Rift Kenya. Proceedings of the Applied Geoinformatics for society and environment conference. (AGSE 2011), AGSE publishing. August 2011.
- Mundia,N.C, Wakan Shiino and Yasushi Noguchi. 2011. Analysis of Nairobi city using GIS. Proceedings of the international conference of ILCAA core project “Plurallistic world understangin based on African cities. Reading African cities: Nairobi, Gondar and Cape Town”, Tokyo, Japan, December 2011.
- Mundia, C. N. 2011.Sustainability of Tourism in Kenya: Analysis of land use/cover changes and animal population dynamics in Masai Mara. Proceedings of the Applied Geoinformatics for society and environment conference. (AGSE 2011), AGSE publishing. August 2011
- Mundia, C. N. 2011. Assessing the application of Markov chain analysis in Nakuru.Proceedings of the Applied Geoinformatics for society and environment conference. (AGSE 2011), AGSE publishing. August 2011
- Mundia,C. N. and Murayama, Y. 2009. Land use/cover changes in Masai Mara Ecosystem: A threat to wildlife sanctuary in East Africa. In proceedings of the Japan Geoscience Union Meeting, Tokyo, Japan, May 16-21.
- Mundia, C. N. and Murayama, Y. 2008. Change analysis and modeling future urban scenarios in Nairobi City. In Research Abstracts on Spatial Information Science. CSIS DAYS 2008, University of Tokyo, December 11-12.
- Mundia, C. N. and Murayama, Y. 2008. Urban growth analysis and modeling: A case of Nairobi City. In proceedings of 31st International Geographical Congress, Tunis, Tunisia, August 12-15.
- Mundia, C. N. and Murayama, Y. 2008. Sustainability in African cities: Land use/cover changes and modelling urban growth in Nairobi City. Papers and Proceedings of the Geographic Information Systems Association, Tokyo, Japan, No. 17, pp. 15-20.
- Mundia, C. N. and Aniya, M. 2008. Environmental Land Use/Cover Change Analysis in Nairobi City Using Multi-temporal Remote Sensing and GIS. In proceedings of Global Mapping Forum, Tokyo, June,5-7.
- Mundia, C. N. and Murayama, Y. 2008. Land use/cover change and predicting urban growth in Nairobi city. In proceedings of the Japan Geoscience Union Meeting, Makuhari, Japan, May 25-30.
- Mundia, C. N., and Aniya, M. Analysis of Land Use Changes and Urban Expansion Using Remote Sensing and GIS: Nairobi City and its Environs for the Period 1976-2000. Proceedings of the IUFRO International Workshop on Landscape Ecology: Conservation and Management of Fragmented Forest Landscape, 25-28 October 2004, Tsukuba, Japan.
- Mundia C. N., & Aniya, M. Land Use/ Cover Changes Using Remote Sensing and GIS. Proceedings of the Seventh International Seminar on GIS for Developing Countries, 10-12 May 2004, Johor, Malaysia.
- Mundia, C. N., and Aniya M. Drivers of Land Use/Cover Changes for the Nairobi Metropolitan Area. Proceedings of the Forum on GIS Analysis: Application in Social and Environmental Research, 14- 16 July, 2003, Tsukuba, Japan.
Papers presented in Conferences, Seminars and Workshops
- Mumina, J., Mundia, C.N., (2014) Exploring the relationship between land surface temperature and land use land cover in Kenya. (A case study of Nairobi County ). Dedan Kimathi Scientific Conference, Volume 3, 215-221.
- Mundia, C. N., and Murayama, Y. Urban Sustainability in African Cities: Change Analysis and Modeling urban growth in Nairobi City. GISA Annual Conference, 23-24 Oct.,2008, Tokyo University, Japan
- Mundia, C. N., and Murayama, Y. Land use/cover change and predicting urban growth in Nairobi city, Monitoring Cities of Tomorrow, 4-10, August 2008, Tunis, Tunisia.
- Mundia, C. N., and Aniya, M. Environmental Land Use/Cover Change Analysis inNairobi City Using Multi-temporal Remote Sensing and GIS. Global Mapping Forum, 5-7 June 2008, June, Tokyo, Japan.
- Mundia, C. N., and Murayama, Y. Land use/cover change and predicting urban growth in Nairobi city. Japan Geosciences Union Meeting (JPGU), 25-30, May 2008, Tokyo, Japan.
- Mundia, C. N., and Aniya, M. Urban Growth in African Cities: Land Use/Cover Changes and Modeling Urban Growth. The 9th International Symposium on Physical Measurements and Signatures in Remote Sensing, 17-19 October 2005, Beijing, China.
- ISPRS WG VII/6 International Workshop Monitoring and Modeling of Global Environmental change, Kyoto International Community House, 21-22, October 2003, Kyoto, Japan.
Summary of Qualifications
Has Considerable research and teaching experience in Geomatic Engineering, GIS and Remote Sensing analyses of over nine years both locally and internationally. Two year post-doctoral research experience at the school of Integrative Environmental Science, University of Tsukuba. , Served as an associate professor of GIS and Remote Sensing for two years at the Centre for Spatial Information Science, University of Tsukuba, Japan.. Served as head of department and a senior lecturer at the department of Geomatic Engineering and Geospatial Information Science of Jomo Kenyatta University. Currently an Associate Professor of Geoinformatics at Dedan Kimathi University of Agriculture and Technology, Institute of Geomatic, GIS and Remote Sensing.
Authored two University level books published by Nova Science publishers (USA) and Lambert Publishing Company (Germany) and have published widely in high impact international journals on Remote sensing and GIS analyses. Appears in the ‘Who is Who’ in Science and Engineering’, eleventh edition (2011-2012) by Marquis who is who publication board of United States.
Awards, Scholarships and Recognitions
- Marquis Who is who Award , Who is Who in Science and Engineering, 11th edition, 2011.
- Great Mind of the 21st Century award, American Biographical Institute, 2011.
- Climate change and food security: Capturing impacts of climate change mitigation measures in forecasting and crop disease control.(Ksh 4,300,000) 2013. JKUAT funded, Principal investigator.
- An evaluation of climate effects and trends using Land Surface Temperatures and Normalized Difference Vegetation Index. (1,500,000) 2013. JKUAT funded, Co- investigator
- Consultancy services for Environmental management using GIS training for small holder daily commercialization Programme (Ksh 5,000,000). 2012. Complete, Ministry of Agriculture funded, principal consultant
- Consultancy services for GIS for environmental management training for Rural
Electrification Authority. (Ksh 550,000) Completed. REA funded, principal consultant
- Modeling of Spatial Processes of Urban Spatial Systems. Research funded by Japan society for the promotion of sciences, (Ksh 2,000,000) 2009 complete.
- Geospatial Analysis of Land Use/Cover Changes and Animal Population Dynamics in a Wildlife Sanctuary in East Africa using GIS and Remote sensing. Joint research, University of Tsukuba. 2010. Complete.
- A GIS framework for monitoring the hybridization of baboon sub-species. Partial funding, Joint research with Pennsylvania State University. 2011. Ongoing.
- Hyper spectral and Lidar data modeling for climate impact on ecosystem services
(Funded ICIPE research Ksh 860,000 ) 2011 ongoing
- Development of a new pan sharpening algorithm. 2012 Joint Ongoing research. Funded by JKUAT
- “RADIUS-A (Regional Aspects of Different Influences on Urbanizing Sub-Saharan Africa): Indices and Feedback Studies for Land-Atmosphere-Hydrology Change”. Proposal funded by National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Pending.
Postgraduate Thesis Supervision and Examination
- Kondwani Munthali: Land use/cover change detection and modeling urban area: Case of Lilongwe city. Completed
- Mark Boit; Modeling land use and land cover change using hyper spectral and Lidar data for climate change impacts on ecosystems and food security in eastern Africa. Completed
- Mathew K. Kigomo: Forest Cover change in Mau Forest Complex, and the implications for carbon dynamics and climate variability, Ongoing
- Tim Owango: A GIS framework for monitoring the hybridization of baboon sub- species. Ongoing
- Mary W. Macharia: GIS and Remote Sensing Modeling for geothermal potential exploration. Case of Olkaria in Kenyan Rift valley, Ongoing
1. George Watene Chege, 2012: A GIS based parking lot management and dissemination system.
- Moffat Gathiro Magondu, 2012: Web-based water resources information system
- Sheila Wachiye, 2012: GIS based forest cover change and vulnerability analysis: A case of Nandi Forest Zone. Completed
- Nancy Njoki Ngari, 2012: Land use cover change and its implications on livestock population trends in Makueni District.
- Janet Ondiek, 2011: An integrative approach for Environmental Aesthetics Measurement in the Environmental Impact Assessment Processes.
- Phyllis Njoki, 2012: Tracking city green space change as impacted by urban sprawl.
- Leonard Wamalwa, 2010: Multi-criteria suitability modelling for geothermal exploration: Case of Silali geothermal prospect in North Rift Kenya.
- Eunice Nduati 2013: Climate Change:Effects and Trends evaluation using LST, NDVI and Land use cover change analysis in the ecosystem.
- Benjamin Owino Olweny 2012: Use of GIS in managing electrical related accidents in Kenya: Case study of Nairobi area.Complete.
- Jatani Abdulkadir 2011: Use of spatial multicriteria decision analysis and GIS in route selection for railway transport systems in Nairobi. Case of Kibera- Industrial area, Nairobi.
- Jonh Kipterer Kapoi 2013: Agricultural Drought risk and severity thresholds Assessment in Pastoral and Agro-pastoral Livelihoods of Baringo County Kenya.
- Eunice Wangui Mwangi 2013: Assessing and Monitoring Agricultural Land Production for Improved Food Security in Machakos County.
Other University and National Responsibilities
- Post graduate programme coordinator
- CBD IGGRES Programmes coordinator
- Research coordinator
- External exams moderator
Affiliation/Membership to Professional Bodies