Designation: Assistant Lecturer
School/Institute: Institute of Geomatics, GIS and Remote Sensing (IGGReS)
Department: Geomatics and GIS (GEGIS)
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
|Doctor of Phyilosophy in Geomatics and Geospatial Information Science||Dedan Kimathi University of Technology||Sept 2018 to date|
|Masters of Science in Information Systems||University of Nairobi||Sept 2004 – Sept 2010|
|BSc. in Surveying||University of Nairobi||Nov 1996 – Aug 2001|
Areas of Expertise
- Remote sensing
- Geospatial Information Science (GIS)
- GIS Programming
- Web Mapping
- GIS Database Systems
- 2012 – To Date: Assistant Lecturer, Institute of Geomatics and GIS, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, Nyeri, Kenya.
- 2009 – 2012: Land Surveyor, Department of Survey, Ministry of lands, Nairobi, Kenya.
- 2011: Part time lecturer, Department of Geomatic and Geospatial information Systems, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Nairobi, Kenya.
- 2003 – 2008: ICT officer, Defunct Electoral Commission of Kenya, Nairobi, Kenya.
Other University and National Responsibilities
- May 2021 – To Date : Institute Timetable Coordinator for the Institute of Geomatics, GIS and Remote Sensing, DeKUT.
- Jan 2016 – To Date : ISO Coordinator for the Institute of Geomatics, GIS and Remote Sensing, DeKUT.
- Jan 2018 – March 2021 : BSc. Students Projects Coordinator for the Institute of Geomatics, GIS and Remote Sensing, DeKUT.
- Jan 2013 – September 2015: Attachment Coordinator for the Institute of Geomatics, GIS and Remote Sensing, DeKUT.
- May 2009 – March 2012: Member of Land Information Management Systems(LIMS) inter-ministerial technical working group- Ministry of Lands.
- May 2009 – March 2012: Member of Agricultural thematic group of Kenya Land use policy formulation technical working group.
- 2015- to date– Member, School Board of Management, Matu Day Secondary School(Kinyona ward, Kigumo sub county, Murang’a County)
- 2018- to date – Licensed brigade officer and Sunday school teacher, Anglican church of Kenya (ACK), Diocese of Machakos
- Kuria, T. B., Kirimi, K. F., Gikwa, W. C., & Kuria, N. D. (2020). Maize crop monitoring with sentinel-1 radar satellite-case study of Endebess Kenya. Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology for Development.
- Kuria, D., Ngigi, M., Gikwa, C., Mundia, C. and Macharia, M. (2016) A Web-Based Pilot Implementation of the Africanized Land Administration DomainModel for Kenya—A Case Study of Nyeri County. Journal of GeographicInformation System, 8, 171-183.
- Wanjiru, J. W., Gikwa, C. W., Macharia, M. W. (2013). Evaluation of the process of land registration according to Registration of Titles Act (RTA) system in Kenya. Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology for development, Volume 1 (1).
- Gikwa, C. W., Rodrigues, A. J. (2010). Masters research project: Public administration re-engineering (PAR): A case of land administration in Kenya. (Unpublished)
Papers presented in Conferences, Seminars and Workshops
- Kuria, D., Ngigi, M., Gikwa, C., Mundia C., Kibui S., Omondi, S., Thaa, B., & Macharia M. (2016). Improving the State of Land Administration on developing countries: a Case of LADM for Kenya – Opportunities & Challenges. Paper presented at the World Bank Conference of Land and Poverty Washington DC, 2016.
a) A pilot implementation of a LADM for Kenya using open source software (GeoDjango, PostGIS, leaflet)
Research funded by SERVIR, $22,000/=, 2014-2015 -Prototype complete
- Spatial data science, Web based GIS, GIS Database systems
Affiliation/Membership to Professional Bodies
- Institution of Surveyors of Kenya